I feel that the benefits of blogs in the classroom are two-fold.
Firstly, the opportunity to reflect on learning is often neglected in classrooms as teachers are normally pressed for time and meeting content requirements, in particular in DP classes. However, it's important to note that reflection and meta-cognition are key elements of sustained and prolonged learning. Blogs can effectively fill this gap.
Secondly, it creates an important history of cognitive development for the students. I remember looking back on the essays and short stories I wrote in 5th grade and because of that, can vividly remember the circumstances in which I wrote them, what I was thinking and what I wanted to express. I think it would be quite powerful for a student to look back at his/her middle and high school careers and be able to pin point at which point he/she mastered a particular concept, or had a particular thought. In particular at an age in which students lose their notebooks on a regular basis, and very seldom keep notebooks from one school year to the next.
Two very good points. I would also add the importance of dialectical thinking to these if you have students reading and supplying feedback to each others works.
ReplyDelete