I acquired an Apple product for the first time a few months ago, the iPad2. It has noticeably changed a few ways in which I use computers.
Having always required significant computing power for the games I like to play, my computers - even laptops - are always heavy and bulky. Not very mobile at all. With the iPad2, I have accessed the web on more places than ever before. To me this has been a key change: being connect on more locations other than my classroom or the living room.
I also appreciate the speed and customization of web access that the iPad offers, in particular through the use of specific apps. For example, if searching for hotels on Booking.com, the website offers an app which makes finding a hotel even more intuitive and easier than on a regular browser.
In the future, I would like to look into owning a smaller, but equally as powerful method for accessing the web - like an Android phone or an iPhone - but for now, the benefits have not overcome the costs.
You're right, it's much more about UCAPP - ubiquitous connectivity and pervasive proximity - see Federman. I for one will be lining up for an iPad 3 and definitely give Android a go. Android OS is more popular than Apple iPhone, but much less profitable for Google than Apple according to analysts. For me that says everything: iPhones are great, but needlessly expensive.
ReplyDelete